Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Stop spilling the text to the adjoining cell

Probably this question was asked before but I couldn’t find the answer
in the forum so I will ask it again.
Usually when I enter data it looks like this:

Coulum1 Column2
Data Short
Data entered long

Is there any option to tell excel to stop showing the data at the end
of the cell instead of spilling it to the next empty one.
I know about “wrap the text” option but this adds up on the row
height.

Thanks for you help

FG
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use wrap text but don't set the row to "autofit"

i.e. set it to a fixed height

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:48:18 -0700 (PDT), "F.G." wrote:

Probably this question was asked before but I couldn’t find the answer
in the forum so I will ask it again.
Usually when I enter data it looks like this:

Coulum1 Column2
Data Short
Data entered long

Is there any option to tell excel to stop showing the data at the end
of the cell instead of spilling it to the next empty one.
I know about “wrap the text” option but this adds up on the row
height.

Thanks for you help

FG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On May 14, 11:37*am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
You can use wrap text but don't set the row to "autofit"

i.e. set it to a fixed height

Gord Dibben *MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:48:18 -0700 (PDT), "F.G." wrote:
Probably this question was asked before but I couldn’t find the answer
in the forum so I will ask it again.
Usually when I enter data it looks like this:

Coulum1 * * *Column2
Data Short
Data entered long

Is there any option to tell excel to stop showing the data at the end
of the cell instead of spilling it to the next empty one.
I know about “wrap the text” option but this adds up on the row
height.

Thanks for you help

FG- Hide quoted text -

Thx a lot

That's the solution I was thinking off. Butt for some reason some of
the cells are getting messed up, Porbably a alignment or font issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
FG
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or add a space to the adjoining cell.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"F.G."
wrote in message
Probably this question was asked before but I couldn’t find the answer
in the forum so I will ask it again.
Usually when I enter data it looks like this:
Coulum1 Column2
Data Short
Data entered long
Is there any option to tell excel to stop showing the data at the end
of the cell instead of spilling it to the next empty one.
I know about “wrap the text” option but this adds up on the row
height.
Thanks for you help
FG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On May 14, 11:58*am, "Jim Cone" wrote:
Or add a space to the adjoining cell.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon *USAhttp://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
(Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)

Thx Jim,

But few of adjoining cells have data on them and I can't just assume
that all will be equal to " ".
Your work around is a very good idea if the adjoining cell is not
needed at all in the whole sheet.

Your advise is greatly valued.

Regards
FG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"messed up" would mean what?

Gord

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:57:30 -0700 (PDT), "F.G." wrote:

That's the solution I was thinking off. Butt for some reason some of
the cells are getting messed up, Porbably a alignment or font issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On May 14, 1:43*pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
"messed up" would mean what?

Gord

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:57:30 -0700 (PDT), "F.G." wrote:
That's the solution I was thinking off. Butt for some reason some of
the cells are getting messed up, Porbably a alignment or font issue.- Hide quoted text -

Gord,

Messed up means if for example I set up the fixed height at 20 and the
cell data is "China, People's Republic of".
The cell will show incomplete or should I say distorted text in two
lines:
China,
People's

However if i put the height only at 12 it is OK only "China" appears.

I hope I was clear and if not I can email you the example on PM.

So the ultimate solution would be to find the correct height where
only on line of the text can fit, right?

Thank you for the interest on helping me to find the best solution.

FG