Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Question on saving a file.

Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
revisions? Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go to tools, options, security and set your worksheet as a read-only. When
they open it, they will be asked if they need to change it, or open as a read
only if they answer yes and do a save as, they will only be able to save as a
copy
--
Stacia

"Crissyb" wrote:

Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
revisions? Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you can also try the following:

You can use AutoRecover to have Excel automatically save a backup copy each
time you save a workbook. The backup copy provides you with a previously
saved copy, so you have the current saved information in the original
workbook and the information saved prior to that in the backup copy. Each
time you save the workbook, a new backup copy replaces the existing backup
copy. Saving a backup copy can protect your work if you accidentally save
changes that you don't want to keep or delete the original file.

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Save tab, select the Save AutoRecover info every check box.
In the minutes box, type or select a number to specify the interval for how
often you want to save files.
The more frequently your files are saved, the more information is recovered
if there is a power failure or similar problem while a file is open.

--
Stacia

"Crissyb" wrote:

Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
revisions? Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

File/ Save As/ Tools/ General Options/ Always create backup
will save a backup, so you will have one previous version, but the safest
bet is to save as a different file name each time.
--
David Biddulph

Crissyb wrote:
Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
revisions? Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept
the earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so
my main filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping
all my earlier revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so
everytime I save it to 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision
number automatically so I don't loose revisions or accidentily wipe
out good data. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Stacia

You misunderstand what Autorecovery does.

It only makes temporary backups while working on a file.

When the file is closed without incident, the temporary backup is deleted.

See David's reply for how to make a backup when saving.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP