Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ken ken is offline

Default Network connection for query

G'day there One and All,

I'm currently trying to adapt a few of the Dept's workbooks to suit our
district. There is a single master book, to produce reports, that
is available to all on a read only basis and read write to the
relevent manager. There are also a number of data entry books that are
identical to each other and that provide the data from each division.
The master book uses a query to obtain data from the division's books
and thereby build the reports. The data books are read write for
everyone with only a single sheet from each providing data for the
query.

I've adapted the sheets to their new district, (quite simple) and
have amended a few bits & pieces to ensure dates are kept relevent
and stuff like that. I've also adapted the queries to their new
home, however I've never used queries before and now I've found that
although I am able to run the queries, the bloke who needs to do it
can't. The original author is no longer available for me to ask about
it all so I'm trying to do it by trial & error.

I'm fairly sure that I've got the query correct as I've been able to
run it successfully. It's all about to be moved again, but that's an
easy fix. However I don't know how to ensure the manager can access
the queries from wherever he is. Does he need to set up the file server
as a mapped network drive separately on each of the pooters he uses?

Is there a way to set up the queries so that the manager or his relief
can use them without me or them having to map the drives wherever they
may be? I'm sure there is, but I've yet to find how. The only results
that Google has provided me (that I could understand) were helpful in
understanding how to build a query, but not how to permit everyone
else to use it once I've set it up - acls will be applied by our IT
person once the new home folder is arranged... and no; our IT person
has little knowledge of XL and can't help.

I'm fairly sure there's a way to allow everybody to just open the
master book with the queries running automatically on open, and then get
the updated figures, but I'm not sure how to do it.

If anyone can tell me, or point me at a web site that can do so then
I'll be extremely grateful.

Thanks for listening,
Ken
Qld, Australia