Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default match based on 2 conditions

i am trying to match a verb from a column on a worksheet to the same verb in
a column on a different sheet but only if the verb is being used (which is
indicated by a "Yes" in the verb's adjacent column). Then, where the verbs
match, I need the value of the fourth column on the same row where the "Yes"
and matched verb are.

So far I have is this formula:

=IF(INDEX(Verbs!B:B,(MATCH(M4,Verbs!C:C,1)))="Yes" ,(VLOOKUP(M4,Verbs!C:G,4))," ")

while it works in most cases, there are some cases where the verb exists
more than one time. One verb may have a "Yes" and the other doesn't but the
formula is not returning the correct value of the 4th column. Also, if I
change my "Yes" from one verb to the other [same] verb, the formula does not
recalculate and give me the new value of the 4th column.

PLEEEEEEEASE help. What am I doing wrong....