Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Make ZERO red and bold

Hello

I am trying to set up a worksheet where totals produced by a formula
equaling zero will be red and bold.
I have looked at the number formatting, but that just does negative numbers
in red. I have also tried to read through the help files, but could not find
anything. Part of the reason for that is that I just don't know where to look
for an answer.

I am thinking that this might require programming, but I am not familiar
with those abilities in Excel. Is that what the Visual Basic button/window is
for? Would this require VB code? That is OK with me. I would like to learn
how to use that. I have programming experience. But, right now, I just don't
know how to proceed. What is my next step to get a formula quantity equal to
zero appear red and bold?

Marz
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look at Conditional Formatting (Excel 2003: Format -- Cells -- Conditional
Formatting).
You can select all of the cells with the formula in them and then set them
up so that when their value IS EQUAL to 0 (just type in the zero in the
appropriate area) to turn the font Red and make it Bold.

"Marz" wrote:

Hello

I am trying to set up a worksheet where totals produced by a formula
equaling zero will be red and bold.
I have looked at the number formatting, but that just does negative numbers
in red. I have also tried to read through the help files, but could not find
anything. Part of the reason for that is that I just don't know where to look
for an answer.

I am thinking that this might require programming, but I am not familiar
with those abilities in Excel. Is that what the Visual Basic button/window is
for? Would this require VB code? That is OK with me. I would like to learn
how to use that. I have programming experience. But, right now, I just don't
know how to proceed. What is my next step to get a formula quantity equal to
zero appear red and bold?

Marz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could try conditional formatting (Format|conditional formatting in xl2003
menus).

You could actually use a custom format of:
General;-General;[Red]0;@

This consists of 4 pieces each separated by a semicolon:
positive;negative;zero;text

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Feb 1, 10:17*am, Marz wrote:
Hello

I am trying to set up a worksheet where totals produced by a formula
equaling zero will be red and bold.
I have looked at the number formatting, but that just does negative numbers
in red. I have also tried to read through the help files, but could not find
anything. Part of the reason for that is that I just don't know where to look
for an answer.

I am thinking that this might require programming, but I am not familiar
with those abilities in Excel. Is that what the Visual Basic button/window is
for? Would this require VB code? That is OK with me. I would like to learn
how to use that. *I have programming experience. But, right now, I just don't
know how to proceed. What is my next step to get a formula quantity equal to
zero appear red and bold?

Marz

If you use Excel 2000 and up, you can use "Conditional formating". To
access it, go to menu Format -- Conditional Formating

You should be able to handle the condition part.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To everyone who answered this: Thank you!

I should have added that I am using version 2007, but your answers led me to
the right menu. And, there is a great demo online for Conditional Formatting
in version 2007 he

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...655491033.aspx

I didn't think that this was going to be so easy! There are a lot of options
available here.