Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Parsing text containing a tilde "~"?

I have text in column A which I want to manipulate. The format of the text
on the left, text on the right, seperated by " ~ " (space-tilde-space). The
text on either sides of the space-tilde-space may contain spaces, slashes,
backslashes, pound signs, ampersands, etc. What I'd really like to do is
swap the positions of the the text on the other side of the tilde and replace
the tilde with a hyphen. In other words, all the left-side text up to the
space-tilde-space delimiter moves to the right of the space-tilde-space
delimiter and the right-side text moves to the left of the space-tilde-space.
For example,

Butterfield 8 ~ Elizabeth Taylor

becomes

Elizabeth Taylor - Butterfield 8

Any help is appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

give this a try, if the data is in A1

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("~",A1,1)) & "-" & LEFT(A1,FIND("~",A1,1)-1)

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Big UT Fan" wrote in message
I have text in column A which I want to manipulate. The format of the text
on the left, text on the right, seperated by " ~ " (space-tilde-space). The
text on either sides of the space-tilde-space may contain spaces, slashes,
backslashes, pound signs, ampersands, etc. What I'd really like to do is
swap the positions of the the text on the other side of the tilde and replace
the tilde with a hyphen. In other words, all the left-side text up to the
space-tilde-space delimiter moves to the right of the space-tilde-space
delimiter and the right-side text moves to the left of the space-tilde-space.
For example,

Butterfield 8 ~ Elizabeth Taylor

becomes

Elizabeth Taylor - Butterfield 8

Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

this would even out the spaces and hyphens

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("~",A1,1)-1) & "- " & LEFT(A1,FIND("~",A1,1)-1)

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003