shezzer_1972

Default Selecting Check Boxes

Problem: I have two columns which each has a check box. I want only one
check post to be selected as the two are related i.e.

which contractor will you use contractor 1
contractor 2
who has best rates contractor 1
contractor 2
etc
etc

when I use radio buttons for some strange reason it only ever allows me to
check on radio button on the spreadsheet (could be stupid user syndrome!).
Can anyone help with the best way to work this.

thanks
Bob Umlas

Not clear what you're saying, however, checkboxes are usually "linked" to
cells, and each checkbox should have its own cell link. These each return
TRUE/FALSE. But, as you stated, this allows you to select both which you
don't want.
Option buttons (radio buttons) are all linked to the same cell, and return a
value of which radio button was selected, so if there are 5 radio buttons,
the value of the one linked cell would be 1 to 5. You CAN "group" radio
buttons, so that one group work together and a second group work together,
but in that case you need to put the group inside a frame, or group box (and
make sure the option button doesn't "bleed" onto the worksheet or it will be
treated as the worksheet group, not the groupbox group.
Lastly, if you create option buttons from the Control toolbox instead of the
Forms tools, you can assign a set of the option buttons to have the property
of Groupname be a particular value, like Group1, and another set to be
Group2, and then they will also work independently.

HTH
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"shezzer_1972" wrote in message
Problem: I have two columns which each has a check box. I want only one
check post to be selected as the two are related i.e.

which contractor will you use contractor 1
contractor 2
who has best rates contractor 1
contractor 2
etc
etc

when I use radio buttons for some strange reason it only ever allows me to
check on radio button on the spreadsheet (could be stupid user syndrome!).
Can anyone help with the best way to work this.

thanks

Bob Phillips

Radio buttons need to be grouped to be separated.

As a checkbox has two states, checked or not, why not just use one per row
and react according to its status?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"shezzer_1972" wrote in message
Problem: I have two columns which each has a check box. I want only one
check post to be selected as the two are related i.e.

which contractor will you use contractor 1
contractor 2
who has best rates contractor 1
contractor 2
etc
etc

when I use radio buttons for some strange reason it only ever allows me to
check on radio button on the spreadsheet (could be stupid user syndrome!).
Can anyone help with the best way to work this.

thanks

shezzer_1972

Hi, I tried grouping didn't work. I have to have a choice of two individuals
who could be responsible. so each would have a check box against their
column and the user would select one accordingly. When I have the two
checkboxes it allows them to select both which i don't want to be the case?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Kind of the same reason that apartments are together???
And why we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway???
(It just struck me funny.)

Radio buttons need to be grouped to be separated.

Bob Phillips

You're doing it again Dave!

Who is George Carlin? And don't tell me he is one of the Three Stooges!

Anyway it made sense when I wrote it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Kind of the same reason that apartments are together???
And why we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway???
(It just struck me funny.)

Bob "George Carlin" Phillips wrote:

Radio buttons need to be grouped to be separated.

Dave Peterson

An comedian from the USA. Famous for his 7 things you can't say on TV.

http://www.georgecarlin.com
(Warning: There might be some offensive language there)

But he also has a routine about oxymorons (and plays with words in others):
Jumbo Shrimp
Military Intelligence
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...oxymoron1.html

"Need to be grouped to be separated"