Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Use word to associate an item in validation drop down list

I have created a validation drop down list but because the list can be quite
long I want to be able to type a specific word on the cell that would
associate that specific item in the drop down list.

For example, lets say my drop down list contains the months of the year from
January to December. I want to associate 1 = January and 2 = February and so
on so that when I enter 6, June comes up on the cell.

Does anyone know if this is possible on Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could be done with VBA event code but your list would have to consist of
numbers 1 to 12.

Type a number and the appropriate month is displayed in the cell.

Or you can use a combobox in conjunction with the DV dropdown that will
allow autocomplete.

i.e. type d and December is displayed.

For the latter see Debra Dalgleish's site.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP