Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ADD ITEM TO A DROP DOWN LIST?

Once a drop down list (created from a named list) has been created and the
file saved, is it possible to add an item to the drop down list, and if so
how? I type a new item at the bottom of the named list, but can't figure out
how to ask excel to extend the drop down list by the additional item.

Thanks.
--
William
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

William, the easiest way to do this is to add an item within the list, and
this will automatically add to your dropdown. Otherwise you will need to
keep redefining the selection criteria.
If you keep a blank at the bottom of the list, this will solve your problem
as well, but when adding to the list, you need to ensure you insert an
additional line otherwise you will run into the same problem.
This is the easy workaround, no doubt others may have a more robust solution.

"William" wrote:

Once a drop down list (created from a named list) has been created and the
file saved, is it possible to add an item to the drop down list, and if so
how? I type a new item at the bottom of the named list, but can't figure out
how to ask excel to extend the drop down list by the additional item.

Thanks.
--
William

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a dynamic range to define the source for the drop down.

Assume the source list is currently in A1:A5

Use this formula as the source for the drop down:

=A1:INDEX(A1:A10,COUNTA(A1:A10))

This allows you to add new items up to cell A10. Adjust this to suit your
needs.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"William" wrote in message
Once a drop down list (created from a named list) has been created and the
file saved, is it possible to add an item to the drop down list, and if so
how? I type a new item at the bottom of the named list, but can't figure
out
how to ask excel to extend the drop down list by the additional item.

Thanks.
--
William

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc