Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hide Some Text in a Cell

Is there a way to hide certain text temporarily in a cell while displaying
the rest of the cell's contents? I know I could color that text white, but
it repeats in many cells in the same column. I want to hide the same
repetitive words in all of the adjoing cells, then uncover them later.

DOUG ECKERT
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1) It can be DELETED with a Macro [and "pasted" back later.
2) You can use =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"ABC","") in cell B1' in order to hide the ABC
copying the formula down the range and, Temporarily, Hide column A.

Afterwards, you can Hide Column B and uh-hide column A
Micky

"DOUG" wrote:

Is there a way to hide certain text temporarily in a cell while displaying
the rest of the cell's contents? I know I could color that text white, but
it repeats in many cells in the same column. I want to hide the same
repetitive words in all of the adjoing cells, then uncover them later.

DOUG ECKERT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sub Color_String()
Dim Rng As Range
Dim Cell As Range
Dim start_str As Integer
Set Rng = Selection
For Each Cell In Rng
start_str = InStr(Cell.Value, "certain text")
If start_str Then
Cell.Characters(start_str, 5).Font.ColorIndex = 2
End If
Next
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:23:01 -0800, DOUG
wrote:

Is there a way to hide certain text temporarily in a cell while displaying
the rest of the cell's contents? I know I could color that text white, but
it repeats in many cells in the same column. I want to hide the same
repetitive words in all of the adjoing cells, then uncover them later.

DOUG ECKERT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Micky

Changed part of old macro and forgot to change other parts to match.

Could do better than hard coding the string.

Sub Color_String()
Dim Rng As Range
Dim Cell As Range
Dim start_str As Integer
Dim mystr As String
mystr = InputBox("Enter a text string")
Set Rng = Selection
For Each Cell In Rng
start_str = InStr(Cell.Value, mystr)
If start_str Then
Cell.Characters(start_str, Len(mystr)).Font.ColorIndex = 2
End If
Next
End Sub

Gord