IT Assistant

Default Is there a way to hide text in a cell?

I'm trying to format a spreadsheet where some information (passwords) should
only be viewed by certain people.... not for the general viewer. Is there a
way to hide text in a cell? I have done it in the past but I can't seem to
figure this out now.
Gord Dibben

IT

For a very casual and inexperienced user you may get away with something like
this, but anything you do can be easily un-done by just about anyone who could
access these news groups.

You could format the text to white so's it wouldn't show in the cell.

You can go to FormatCellProtection and check "hidden" then
ToolsProtectionPriotect Sheet with a password.

This password would be supplied to the need-to-see users.

This would not show the text in the formula bar.

BUT, if I enter =cellref in another cell(assuming that other cell was unlocked
for editing) I would see the text from the original cell.

Excel's security is weak. Best thing to do with passwords is print them on a
sheet of paper and tape that to the underside of a drawer in your desk.

Don't bother to look for mine there. I use another method<g

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:57:02 -0700, IT Assistant
wrote:

I'm trying to format a spreadsheet where some information (passwords) should
only be viewed by certain people.... not for the general viewer. Is there a
way to hide text in a cell? I have done it in the past but I can't seem to
figure this out now.

John Mansfield

Another way to hide data in a cell . . . select the cell with the data. Go
to the Standard Toolbar and select Format - Cells. In the Format Cells
dialog box go to the Numbers tab and select the Custom option. In the Type
input area, type in three semi-colons i.e. ;;;

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com