Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Template functionality without using "File-New"

Our users tend to use windows explorer to find the worksheet (often times a
template) they want to use and they double click on it to open it up. If
this is a template file, it will open up as if they are editing the template
- rather than opening up a new doc using that template -- and forcing them to
do a "SAVE-AS" and not overwrite the template file.

Is there some code/macro I can use to make it so when the user double clicks
on a template file that is ACTS AS IF they used the FILE NEW MY TEMPLATE menu
selection -- even when they directly double click on the template file?

I know this is a "training issue" but eventually one as to play the hand
they are dealt...

Denise.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This isn't standard/default behavior for windows and excel--but it is a user by
user setting.

Try this first on one of the problem pc's.

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

Then test it out.

If that doesn't work...

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xlt extension
click the advanced button
click on the New item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)

If the default action was set to Open (bold indicates default), then that could
have been the problem.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave and Denise.

The re-register should take care of the double-click issue.

Only problem is if they right-click and "Open".

The actual *.xlt will open.

I'm not sure how to prevent that.

Gord

Denise wrote:

Our users tend to use windows explorer to find the worksheet (often times a
template) they want to use and they double click on it to open it up. If
this is a template file, it will open up as if they are editing the template
- rather than opening up a new doc using that template -- and forcing them to
do a "SAVE-AS" and not overwrite the template file.

Is there some code/macro I can use to make it so when the user double clicks
on a template file that is ACTS AS IF they used the FILE NEW MY TEMPLATE menu
selection -- even when they directly double click on the template file?

I know this is a "training issue" but eventually one as to play the hand
they are dealt...

Denise.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd make sure that they knew that the New option that appears in bold letters
was the action to use.

But that is a training issue.