Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to add columns to the end of a spreadsheet--(last col is IV)?

I've inherited a spreadsheet that has an ending column labeled as IV--somehow
everything after that column was deleted. This spreadsheet is used to track
my staff's daily time activity for the year and I need a column for each
workday. It currently ends in the middle of October. I need to add/insert
columns for the rest of October, November, and December. I'm trying to
insert new columns, but I keep getting the message: Excel cannot shift
nonblank cells off the worksheet. I've followed the instructions to delete
the rows and columns from my last nonblank cell to the end of the spreadsheet
(column and row), but I'm still getting the message. Any suggestions?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to add columns to the end of a spreadsheet--(last col is IV)?

To add columns to the end of a spreadsheet when the last column is IV, you can follow these steps:
[list=1][*]Click on the column header of column IV to select the entire column.[*]Right-click on the column header and select "Insert" from the drop-down menu.[*]A new column (column V) will be inserted to the right of column IV.[*]Repeat steps 1-3 until you have inserted enough columns for the remaining months of the year.[*]If you receive the message "Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet," it means that there are non-blank cells in the columns to the right of the columns you are trying to insert. To fix this, you can try the following:
  • Select all the columns to the right of the columns you want to insert.
  • Right-click on the selected columns and choose "Delete" from the drop-down menu.
  • In the "Delete" dialog box, select "Entire column" and click "OK."
  • Now try inserting the new columns again.
By following these steps, you should be able to add columns to the end of your spreadsheet and track your staff's daily time activity for the remaining months of the year.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to add columns to the end of a spreadsheet--(last col is IV)?

To add columns to the end of a spreadsheet where the last column is labeled as IV, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the column header of the last column (IV) to select the entire column.
  2. Right-click on the selected column and choose "Insert" from the drop-down menu.
  3. A new column will be inserted to the left of the selected column. Repeat this step until you have added the desired number of columns.
  4. If you receive the message "Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet," it means that there are non-blank cells in the columns to the right of the last column (IV). To resolve this issue, you can follow these steps:
    1. Select all the columns to the right of the last column (IV) that you want to add new columns to.
    2. Right-click on the selected columns and choose "Delete" from the drop-down menu.
    3. In the "Delete" dialog box, choose "Entire column" and click "OK."
    4. Now you can try inserting new columns again by following steps 1-3.

By following these steps, you should be able to add new columns to the end of your spreadsheet without any issues.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The column labeled IV is the last column of the workbook. Up till Excel 2003
you get 256 rows and IV is the last.

You might try using a new worksheet in the new workbook, using a new
workbook, or upgrading to Excel 2007, which gives up to 16,000 colums.

Did you import the worksheet from another program?

"Kary P." wrote:

I've inherited a spreadsheet that has an ending column labeled as IV--somehow
everything after that column was deleted. This spreadsheet is used to track
my staff's daily time activity for the year and I need a column for each
workday. It currently ends in the middle of October. I need to add/insert
columns for the rest of October, November, and December. I'm trying to
insert new columns, but I keep getting the message: Excel cannot shift
nonblank cells off the worksheet. I've followed the instructions to delete
the rows and columns from my last nonblank cell to the end of the spreadsheet
(column and row), but I'm still getting the message. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are using Excel 2003 (or earlier) then IV (column 256) is the last
column
With Excel 2007 (or the free-for-now Excel 2101 beta) you can have 16,365
columns
Of course, opening an Excel 2003 file in Excel 2007 (compatibility mode)
also enforces the 256 limit
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme