Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mz mz is offline

Default Adding descriptive text to formulas without interfering w/ calcula

How would I add text descriptions within formulas that would remind me what
different portions of the formula are intended to perform?
--
MZ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In EXCEL 2007:-

- right click the cell

- Insert Comment

Thanks.

"MZ" wrote:

How would I add text descriptions within formulas that would remind me what
different portions of the formula are intended to perform?
--
MZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you meant WITHIN(!) the cell/formula itself - then try something like this:
In cell A8 type 3 and in cell B8 type 6.
In whatever cell type: ="The result of A8 multiplied by B8 is: "&A8*B8
Is this what you are after ?
Micky

"MZ" wrote:

How would I add text descriptions within formulas that would remind me what
different portions of the formula are intended to perform?
--
MZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mz mz is offline

Default Adding descriptive text to formulas without interfering w/ cal

You understood me correctly that I want to add the text within the formula.
Your solution worked partially; it allows for putting text at the beginning
of the formula (right after the = sign); I tried putting text both at the
beginning and in the middle of the formula, but it does not work completely;
based on your example, here is what I did:
=IF("The result of 3*6 is 18 "&L5*M5=20,"Ok",
"If not, then it is "&L5*N5)

L5 =5
M5 = 4
N5=2

Based on this, the formula should have returned "OK." instead, it returned
"If not, then it is 6"; I tried changing the numbers but the formula seems to
be stuck on returning the second option
Any suggestions?
Thank you
--
MZ

"MZ" wrote:

How would I add text descriptions within formulas that would remind me what
different portions of the formula are intended to perform?
--
MZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Maybe using N() function.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...m#alternatives

Example:
A3: =(A1/A2) +N("Divide 2 cells")

Chees
Andy

MZ wrote:
How would I add text descriptions within formulas that would remind me what
different portions of the formula are intended to perform?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why should that return OK? And I don't know how you got "If not, then it is
6", because it should have returned "If not, then it is 10".

You are testing whether the string "The result of 3*6 is 18 20" is equal to
20, and of course it isn't.

Perhaps you need to explain what you are trying to do?
--
David Biddulph