Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do i link from one work book to another?

Sorry to be a pain, i know its more than likely a simple answer but i cant
work it out on my own.

i have a file with a bunch of worksheets on it and one summary page on the
front with all of the totals on it. I also have a seperate file (excel) that
has all of my repairs on it. So basically when the boss says why did we spend
so much on machine x, on the totals page, i want him to be able to click on a
link or something like that, that will take him to the other file with all
the repairs listed on it.

Thanks For Your Help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Why to allow your boss to fool around in working file? :-))

Design a special report file for him, which gets all nessessary data from
working file, using links, or even better, using ODBC queries (when latter,
you avoid all link formulas, and your report file will work much faster).
The retrieved data must be organized as table(s), and they may be visible
for user, or you can hide the sheets with them.

Now you can design as many report sheets as you want based on retrieved
data - p.e. summary sheet like in your working file, machine repairs report
sheet, where you select a machine from data validation list, and the list
repairs for this machine is displayed, etc.
Sometimes retrieved tables will be enough. P.e. when you can retrieve a
table where all repairs for all machines is displayed (like: Machine,
BreakdownTime, RepairStart, RepairEnd, Explanation), you can use autofilter
feature to get good enough report (and much more flexible one).

Advantages for such design:
1. There is no danger your boss will accidentaly change some original data.
You can protect most of worksheet. Or you may not bother with protecting,
because whenever the boss corrupts his/her report file, you replace it with
fresh copy (all real data are in working file) ;
2. Looking at reports doesn't affect the accessibility of your working
file - at same time you can open it, look at data or edit them;
3. In report file, you can design as much various report sheet as your boss
needs, and you can design and format them specifically for user (i.e. boss)
needs;
4. You can leave out all abundant info your boss doesn't need, making the
info more compact and easier to read.

Arvi Laanemets