Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I recover an Excel document saved not saved as

I was working on an Excel document, deleting all of the info in the cells,
when I inadvertently hit "save" instead of "save as". Thus wiping out all my
info I wanted to keep. Is there a way to recover the document with my
original saved info?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Darryl,

If you have the autosave feature turned on, then you can usually restore
your original file from the autosaved file. But you have to do this before
it is replaced the next time Excel autosaves your file again. This depends
on your settings. I'm not sure if this will help you this time, but keep it
in mind. If you are using Excel 2007, go to Excel Options Save
AutoRecover File Location: to see where the file is being saved.

Ryan

"Darryl" wrote:

I was working on an Excel document, deleting all of the info in the cells,
when I inadvertently hit "save" instead of "save as". Thus wiping out all my
info I wanted to keep. Is there a way to recover the document with my
original saved info?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have a backup copy?

You sent the workbook to someone before working on it?

No way to recover the "saved over" version. That is gone.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:11:01 -0800, Darryl
wrote:

I was working on an Excel document, deleting all of the info in the cells,
when I inadvertently hit "save" instead of "save as". Thus wiping out all my
info I wanted to keep. Is there a way to recover the document with my
original saved info?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

rzink

Since XL2000 there has been no "Autosave" function or feature for Excel.

Please read Excel help on "Autorecovery".

Autorecovery simple creates a temporary backup copy of the workbook while
you are working on it.

If Excel does not crash and your workbook is closed/saved without incident,
the temporary backup is deleted.

DO NOT be lulled into thinking you are saving a backup copy at timed
intervals.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Darryl" wrote:

I was working on an Excel document, deleting all of the info in the cells,
when I inadvertently hit "save" instead of "save as". Thus wiping out all my
info I wanted to keep. Is there a way to recover the document with my
original saved info?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben,

Thanks for the update. It's been a while since I had to use that feature or
rather the removal of that feature.

Darryl - if you are using XL 2007, and you either save or save-as, you can
still "undo" changes that you have made. I'm not sure how many you can
reverse, but it may be enough to get back your original document if you
haven't closed it yet, but only in 2007. Have I got that right Gord?

"Darryl" wrote:

I was working on an Excel document, deleting all of the info in the cells,
when I inadvertently hit "save" instead of "save as". Thus wiping out all my
info I wanted to keep. Is there a way to recover the document with my
original saved info?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes............in Excel 2007.............not older versions of Excel, save
or save as does not clear the undo stack until you close the workbook.

I have never tested to see how far you can go with the undo's but in 2007
there are 100 levels of undo according to specs.

Gord