Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default summing a column gives me a date

I have a worksheet with each month listed on the columns. I have each row
totaled out, and wish to total expenditures for the month. But when I do, I
get a date, and not a numerical value - which is what I want.
What am I doing wrong.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Without seeing the formula, it is impossible to give a meaningful
reply.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
[email on web site]

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:13:01 -0800, jimfitegcs
wrote:

I have a worksheet with each month listed on the columns. I have each row
totaled out, and wish to total expenditures for the month. But when I do, I
get a date, and not a numerical value - which is what I want.
What am I doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"jimfitegcs" wrote:
I get a date, and not a numerical value - which
is what I want. What am I doing wrong.

Probably nothing. But it is impossible to say for sure without seeing the
formulas and the types of data involved. (Klunk!)

The date format is just that -- a format. Excel sometimes changes the
format on us in an attempt to read our mind and give us what it thinks we
want. It is frequently wrong. Sigh. And I don't think there is a way to
turn off that feature. How annoying!

Anyway, it's a "simple matter" to change the format to General or Number or
whatever you want.

After you do that, if the result is still not what you expect, post a reply
with some details that will help us help you.

I have a worksheet with each month listed on the columns. I have each row
totaled out, and wish to total expenditures for the month. But when I do, I
get a date, and not a numerical value - which is what I want.
What am I doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Probably the cell with the "totals" formula was preformatted as Date (unknown
to you). A simple remedy, just re-format that cell as number (via
FormatCellsNumberOK). Success? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore