Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default summing a column gives me a date

"jimfitegcs" wrote:
I get a date, and not a numerical value - which
is what I want. What am I doing wrong.

Probably nothing. But it is impossible to say for sure without seeing the
formulas and the types of data involved. (Klunk!)

The date format is just that -- a format. Excel sometimes changes the
format on us in an attempt to read our mind and give us what it thinks we
want. It is frequently wrong. Sigh. And I don't think there is a way to
turn off that feature. How annoying!

Anyway, it's a "simple matter" to change the format to General or Number or
whatever you want.

After you do that, if the result is still not what you expect, post a reply
with some details that will help us help you.