Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel decimal rounding down all numbers

hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

=INT(A1)

HTH. Happy new year from Harald

"AndyLee" wrote in message
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In EXCEL 2007:-

Place 10.81 into cell A 1.

In cell B 1 put the following formula;-

=ROUNDDOWN(A1,0)

This will return 10 in cell B 1.

Place 9.2 into cell A 2.

In cell B 2 put the following formula;-

=ROUNDDOWN(A2,0)

This will return 9 in cell B 2.

Thanks.

"AndyLee" wrote:

hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"AndyLee" wrote:
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only
10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9
cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

Does ROUNDDOWN(A1,0) meet your needs?

If not, why not? In other words, what part of the problem have you
neglected to mention?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First choice
=int(range) - example =int(a1)
Second choice
=rounddown(range,0) - example =rounddown(a1,0)
--
Wag more, bark less

"AndyLee" wrote:

hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the INT function:

=INT(10.81) = 10
=INT(-10.81) = -11
=INT(0.6) = 0

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"AndyLee" wrote in message
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wrote:
Does ROUNDDOWN(A1,0) meet your needs?

I don't know why I chose ROUNDDOWN. INT(A1) is the obvious choice. (Klunk!)

hi i need to round down to the next whole number only
10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9
cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

Does ROUNDDOWN(A1,0) meet your needs?

If not, why not? In other words, what part of the problem have you
neglected to mention?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks for quick replys everyone.

only a beginner so just getting to grips with it all.

thanks again

"Joe User" wrote:

I wrote:
Does ROUNDDOWN(A1,0) meet your needs?

I don't know why I chose ROUNDDOWN. INT(A1) is the obvious choice. (Klunk!)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David,
With your permission - I would concentrate my efforts to "teach" supporters
what the [F5] key does instead of sending surfers to Excels Help.
From the last 2-3 weeks of my visiting here I would dare to say that 30-40%
of the replies are Superfluous.
I think it will be a good idea that every supporter will adopt the "habit"
of pressing [F5] BEFORE(!) replying.
The best example is the gap of over 30 minutes - in this thread - between
two identical solutions.
Micky

AndyLee wrote:
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Micky,

I think your making an assumption that everyone here is viewing this forum
and thread through the web interface, they're not. So F5 may not be the same
for everyone.

In any case I think you'll discover soon that the web interface is
infuriatingly unreliable and in a lot of cases respondees who post duplicate
replies can't see these other responses.

I frequently see this problem when I view this forum in my preferred way;
the web interface, and my other available method 'Forte Agent'.

Mike

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

David,
With your permission - I would concentrate my efforts to "teach" supporters
what the [F5] key does instead of sending surfers to Excels Help.
From the last 2-3 weeks of my visiting here I would dare to say that 30-40%

AndyLee wrote:
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you can see a spread of over 30 minutes between identical solutions, then
there must again be problems with propagation of messages between different
news servers.

On the MS news server and one other, I can see the original question at
17:10, then replies between 17:18 and 17:23, and the OP's response at 17:31,
and that's all I can see before this message of yours at 18:35. Whatever
other messages you can see must not have reached the news servers which the
rest of us are using. Nor have these other messages reached Google's
archive.
--
David Biddulph

????? (????) ????? wrote:
David,
With your permission - I would concentrate my efforts to "teach"
supporters what the [F5] key does instead of sending surfers to
Excels Help.
From the last 2-3 weeks of my visiting here I would dare to say that
30-40% of the replies are Superfluous.

AndyLee wrote:
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with
them.

all help welcome

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" <micky-a*at*tapuz.co.il wrote:
From the last 2-3 weeks of my visiting here I would dare to say that
30-40%
of the replies are Superfluous.
I think it will be a good idea that every supporter will adopt the "habit"
of pressing [F5] BEFORE(!) replying.
The best example is the gap of over 30 minutes - in this thread - between
two identical solutions.

And with your permission, I would suggest that critics should know something
about what they are talking about before airing their baseless criticisms.

First, not everyone using Outlook Express or Windows Mail. So suggesting
the use of F5 is meaningless. What you meant to say is: everyone should
refresh their view of a thread and read all prior postings before deciding
to post a "redundant" comment.

But secondly, not everyone views threads on the same news server. There are
delays when articles are transmitted among the servers. For example, in the
last few days, I noticed that it takes 30-35 minutes for messages posted via
the MSNews server to propagate to the MS Discussion Groups server.

Third, is not uncommon for some us to think while we are typing a response.
That takes time, and there is a race condition between multiple responders
doing the same thing. Often that explains why essentially the same response
is posted by multiple people.

Finally, your criticism of David's response in particular does not even make
sense. In my view of this thread (as I am writing now ;-), David is the
only person who suggested that the OP should have tried typing "round down"
(without quotes) into the search field of Excel Help before posting such a
simple question.

(Although I agree with David, I do not fault the OP for such a naive
posting. Sadly, it is all too common.)

PS: Speaking of different news server, some time ago I saw something that
led me to conclude that there is not even "one" MSNews server. Well, it is
not uncommon for "a" server to implemented as bank of computers, even a bank
of front-end and a bank of back-end computers. But what I mean is: I think
Europeans access a different MSNews archive than Americans.

I don't remember what led me to that conclusion. It might have been because
someone in European could see an article that I (in America) cannot. But
that conclusion might be a misinterpretation of artifacts of the
(mis)behavior of "the" MSNews server. I don't know if there is any rational
way that we can determine if there is a difference. Even if the IP
addresses are different, they might simply be different "sides" of the same
computer (or bank of computers).

But if anyone knows for sure that are there different MSNews archives, I
would be interested in hearing how you know that. Post here or send email
to me at joeu2004 "at" hotmail.com.

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" <micky-a*at*tapuz.co.il wrote in message
David,
With your permission - I would concentrate my efforts to "teach"
supporters
what the [F5] key does instead of sending surfers to Excels Help.
From the last 2-3 weeks of my visiting here I would dare to say that

AndyLee wrote:
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you all for your replies & comments.
Im sorry for not being updated with all other options to browsing this forum.
BTW, I usually respond to problems presented in the Israeli [Hebrew] MS
Office forum which, unfortunately, is based on the same interface, like this
one, so I'm very familiar with all those "annoying double-posting" due to a
delay in presenting the posts.
I am fully aware of the infuriatingly and unreliable interface [for
instance, the mail alerts that stopped operating a few month ago].

Let us hope that MS will soon understand that this situation cant remain
for ever and will replace the interface with a modern/reliable one which
should be accessed directly and not via third party software etc
Here, for example, you can see what I'm talking about:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/.../excel/threads
Micky

--
והמשך/י, *א, לקרוא את השורה הבאה:
***********

"Joe User" wrote:

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" <micky-a*at*tapuz.co.il wrote:
From the last 2-3 weeks of my visiting here I would dare to say that
[...]

From the last 2-3 weeks of my visiting here I would dare to say that

AndyLee wrote:
hi i need to round down to the next whole number only

10.81 needs to be 10
9.2 needs to be 9

cant use decimal place formating as need to do calculations with them.

all help welcome

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another one:
=FLOOR(A1,1)

Please notice that only ROUNDDOWN(A1,0) will round negative numbers
down. INT and FLOOR round to zero (down for positive, up for negative
numbers)...

A Happy New Year FLOOR(2010.2009,1),
Bernd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc