Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TLC TLC is offline

Default cell value to populate based on changing value in another cell

Hello,

I am populating a pricing list. A combo box displays a product. I need the
price to display in a separate cell. How do I get the individual prices to
display based on the product chosen in the combo box?

please understand that i am at a beginner level when you offer suggestions.
Thank you kindly
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi TLC,

Well, isn't it always funny how things work out? Sometimes things that
would seem to be easy turns out to be difficult.

So, let me get this straight, you have a drop down list, select an item from
that list and you want the price of that item to pop up?

Let's say A1 is your drop down list (assuming that you have this info
defined). Also, let's assume that you have 3 items in your drop down list,
guns, butter, and bicycles.

In another cell (say B1, maybe off to the side or something, used as a
"scratch pad"), put in the formula:

=value(A1)

This will store the value as selected from the list.

In another cell, where you want the price to be listed, use a VLOOKUP and
have your guns, butter, and bicycle prices arranged already.

example:

a b c
1 gun gun =vlookup(b1,a5:b7,2)
2