Shad

Default Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down
list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the
drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those
groups?

Thanks for the help,

Shad
bj

Not directly.
You would have to write a macro to do so
what some people do is to have several drop downs to cover the number of
things The want to have.
there are other ways to handle the situation also. depanding on what you
want and need to do.

The type of macro would depend how many itemsd you want to be able to select
and what you want to do with them

"Shad" wrote:

Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down
list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the
drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those
groups?

Thanks for the help,

Shad

Shad

It is just a list of groups that a user can scroll through. Created by going
to Data/Validation choosing list and naming your list of items.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

What sort of drop-down?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Shad" wrote in message
Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop

down
list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and

the
drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of

those
groups?

Thanks for the help,

Shad

Debra Dalgleish

You can do this with programming. There's a sample file he

Under Data Validation, look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'

Shad wrote:
Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down
list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the
drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those
groups?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found this file but cannot get my lists to "cooperate" When I try to copy
the code through Project Explorer it tells me there is already an object with
that name in my file. Can you provide more specifics as to what I need to do
with the file below to make my lists multi item select.
Thanks.

Shad wrote:
Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down
list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the
drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those
groups?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can copy the code from the module in the sample file.
In your workbook, right-click on the sheet tab for the worksheet where
you have the data validation.
Choose View Code, and paste the copied code.

The code uses the Worksheet_Change event, and you can only have one
procedure with that name on each worksheet module.

Shad wrote:

Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down
list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the
drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those
groups?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra:

I was able to use the macro that you supplied to be able to use both single
select and multi select drop down lists within a worksheet. What if I want
to incorporate several multi-select drop down lists within one worksheet?
How do I need to adapt your macro?

Much, much appreciated!!!!