Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default exporting/saving recent files list

I'm getting a new computer. Is there a way to save the "recent files" list
that is available in each of my Office programs? (Does anyone know where
Office saves these shortcuts?)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...665 24964c427
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"vabki" wrote:

I'm getting a new computer. Is there a way to save the "recent files" list
that is available in each of my Office programs? (Does anyone know where
Office saves these shortcuts?)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, but I was looking for something more general. To use your finding,
I'd have to run the macro in each of my Office programs. Further, that would
only save a text file (or something similar), and, after getting the new
machine, I'd have to open each Office program and manually open each of the
files that had been listed until the list was exhausted.

Someone came by, and we think if we save all the subfolders from the
"Documents and Settings" folder, then copy that data into the same location
on the new machine, everything will be "restored" (so to speak). That does
assume that the new machine's software and operating system are the same
(which, in my case, will be true).

Do you think there are any flaws in this approach?

"vabki" wrote:

I'm getting a new computer. Is there a way to save the "recent files" list
that is available in each of my Office programs? (Does anyone know where
Office saves these shortcuts?)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

They are saved in the Registry under the appropriate application's Recent or
MRU hives.

Note: I can find very little pattern in how these MRU lists are generated or
saved in the Registry from App to App in Office

In Window XP Pro...............

Excel 2003 keeps a list in the registry of only the files that are on the
MRU list when Excel is closed.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Recent Files

Excel 2007 keeps a list in registry of ALL the files you have ever opened
whether or not they currently appear on the MRU list.............they are
numbered Item1 to Itemxxx with 1 to x being those currently on the list.

Kind of a wasteful use of registry space IMO

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\E xcel\File MRU

You would have to export the appropriate Keys as *.reg files then merge into
the Registry of your new computer.

Assuming the OS would be the same.

I think it may be more trouble than it is worth.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP