Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula - Is it possible to...

For each cell in column B I want to test if the adjacent cell in column A is
10 and if it is set the B cell the same as value in the A cell (this bit

is easy) and also set a cell in column C with the value "100". However the
reference of the column C cell is dependent upon the value (between 1 - 4)
in the adjacent cell in column D. For example (I know this isn't possible but
it may help to explain the idea), applying the formula in B1:

if(A110,"20", C(D1)="100").

If A1 was 8 and D1 = 4 then C4 is set to 100 and if D1 was 2 then C2 is set
to 100. What I really want to know is is it possible to use integers from
another cell to reference a cell? Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use the INDIRECT function to reference a cell, so INDIRECT("C"&D1)
would reference C4, and allow you to read a value from that cell, but a
formula in one cell won't set a value in another cell, so a formula in B1
can't write to C4.

If you want a formula to set a value in a cell, you need to put the formula
in that cell.
Hence in C4 you could put =IF(AND(A110,D1=4),100,"")

Note that if you want the number 10 you don't surround it with quote arks.
"100" would give a text string, not a number.
--
David Biddulph

"Beginner-Bob" wrote in message
For each cell in column B I want to test if the adjacent cell in column A
is
10 and if it is set the B cell the same as value in the A cell (this
bit

is easy) and also set a cell in column C with the value "100". However the
reference of the column C cell is dependent upon the value (between 1 - 4)
in the adjacent cell in column D. For example (I know this isn't possible
but
it may help to explain the idea), applying the formula in B1:

if(A110,"20", C(D1)="100").

If A1 was 8 and D1 = 4 then C4 is set to 100 and if D1 was 2 then C2 is
set
to 100. What I really want to know is is it possible to use integers from
another cell to reference a cell? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can refer to a cell's value.
So if E1 has value 5 and E2 have value 20, the the formula
=SUM(INDIRECT("A"&D1&":A"&D2))
will be evaluated as =SUM(A5:A20)

But a formula in one cell cannot change the value in another cell
So you formula in B1 could never alter what is in C1

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Beginner-Bob" wrote in message
For each cell in column B I want to test if the adjacent cell in column A
is
10 and if it is set the B cell the same as value in the A cell (this
bit

is easy) and also set a cell in column C with the value "100". However the
reference of the column C cell is dependent upon the value (between 1 - 4)
in the adjacent cell in column D. For example (I know this isn't possible
but
it may help to explain the idea), applying the formula in B1:

if(A110,"20", C(D1)="100").

If A1 was 8 and D1 = 4 then C4 is set to 100 and if D1 was 2 then C2 is
set
to 100. What I really want to know is is it possible to use integers from
another cell to reference a cell? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What I really want to know is is it possible to
use integers from another cell to reference a cell?

Try explaining, as best you can, what it is you ultimately want to do. For
example:

I want to sum a certain range of cells in column A starting from cell A1.
The number of cells to sum will be entered in cell B1. If B1 = 5 then I want
to sum the range A1:A5. If B1 = 20 then I want to sum the range A1:A20.

It's impossible to not understand an explanation when it's written like
that!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Beginner-Bob" wrote in message
For each cell in column B I want to test if the adjacent cell in column A
is
10 and if it is set the B cell the same as value in the A cell (this
bit

is easy) and also set a cell in column C with the value "100". However the
reference of the column C cell is dependent upon the value (between 1 - 4)
in the adjacent cell in column D. For example (I know this isn't possible
but
it may help to explain the idea), applying the formula in B1:

if(A110,"20", C(D1)="100").

If A1 was 8 and D1 = 4 then C4 is set to 100 and if D1 was 2 then C2 is
set
to 100. What I really want to know is is it possible to use integers from
another cell to reference a cell? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanmks qll for your responses, I now know that I can't do what I wanted to
do and will have to look at the problem in another way.