Sheena N via OfficeKB.com

Default Workbook_Open not working

Hi
My user has Excel 2002 SP2 on his machine. I developed a spreadsheet on
Excel 2002 SP3. On my machine it works fine irrespective of whether the
Analysis Toolpak is selected or not. But when the user opens it on his
machine the Workbook_Open event does not get fired. If Analysis toolpak is
unselected the spreadsheet works fine. The Macro security is set to low.
Any suggestions on how to get the event to work with the Analysis Toolpak
selected. Thanks
Mexage

Dear Sheena:

First you need to check the obvious: is the Workbook_Open event really
failing to start? I had a problem like yours with the RefEdit control; you
cannot place a breakpoint in it because it will be ignored, yet the event
will run correctly. The same applies with errors and the default error
handler (On error goto 0). Try placing a msgbox "Test" on the very first line
of your code for Workbook_Open event. If it works, then you will know that
the problem is not in the event; it's in the default error handler. If you
have a problem with the default error handler, one workaround to see if you
have an error in your code (perhaps because the difference between the
versions) is to use the On error goto err_handler option at the beginning of
your code (after the Workbook_Open declaration), and adding
err_handler:
msgbox err.description
to the bottom of your code.

Hope that helps.

G.Morales

"Sheena N via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Hi
My user has Excel 2002 SP2 on his machine. I developed a spreadsheet on
Excel 2002 SP3. On my machine it works fine irrespective of whether the
Analysis Toolpak is selected or not. But when the user opens it on his
machine the Workbook_Open event does not get fired. If Analysis toolpak is
unselected the spreadsheet works fine. The Macro security is set to low.
Any suggestions on how to get the event to work with the Analysis Toolpak
selected. Thanks

Sheena N via OfficeKB.com

Hi
Thanks for the quick reponse
I removed all code from the Workbook_Open event and placed Msgbox "Test"
there. If the Analysis Toolpak Add In is selected the Msgbox is not
displayed. If the Add In is unselected the Msgbox is displayed.
It looks like if the Addins is selected it does'nt even enter the
Workbook_Open event.

Thanks
Sheena

Dave Peterson

I've never seen excel behave this way. (I have the analysis toolpak enabled,
too.)

If you move the code from the thisworkbook module and put it in a general module
(and rename it to Auto_Open()), does that fire?

===
How does that person open the workbook? Is there any shortcut key envolved
(either windows or an excel macro shortcut key???).

If yes, remove the shift key from the shortcut. Holding the shift key down
while opening a workbook will tell excel not to fire the open procedures.