Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Generate a password ffom 4 words

Hi

I have four words consisting of letters, numbers and symbols which I
use as passwords.

For my TrueCrypt folder I combined three of the words as Truecrypt
advised that a 20 character password is more secure. As I have not
accessed the folder for a very long time I could not open up the
folder. I know exactly the four words as I use it everyday but at the
end of the one word I changed on of the lower case letters to a upper
case letter.

Can someone give an excel sheet to combine these four words in order
to determine the three word password?

I will be very greatful for any assistance as I saw on one of the
forums that it can be done with excel but I have not been able to find
it.

kammie13
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't need Excel for this, just a paper and pencil.

There are only four possible triplets to be considered:

word1,word2,word3
word1,word2,word4
word1,word4,word3
word4,word2,word3

Each triplet has only 6 posible combinations:

word1,word2,word3
word1,word3,word2
word2,word1,word3
word2,word3,word1
word3,word2,word1
word3,word1,word2

Just list them and try out each one.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"kammie" wrote:

Hi

I have four words consisting of letters, numbers and symbols which I
use as passwords.

For my TrueCrypt folder I combined three of the words as Truecrypt
advised that a 20 character password is more secure. As I have not
accessed the folder for a very long time I could not open up the
folder. I know exactly the four words as I use it everyday but at the
end of the one word I changed on of the lower case letters to a upper
case letter.

Can someone give an excel sheet to combine these four words in order
to determine the three word password?

I will be very greatful for any assistance as I saw on one of the
forums that it can be done with excel but I have not been able to find
it.

kammie13
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"kammie" wrote:

Hi

I have four words consisting of letters, numbers and symbols
which I use as passwords.

I will be very greatful for any assistance as I saw on one of
the forums that it can be done with excel but I have not been
able to find it.

I wonder if anyone has any comments on the security of passwords formed
from two or more real words? I know single dictionary words are fairly
easily found via a computer dictionary attack.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No doubt real words would be easy to crack but the OP said:

four words consisting of letters, numbers and symbols

So, I'm assuming a "word" could be:

z(*1-U+Px#2~,7

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"kammie" wrote:

Hi

I have four words consisting of letters, numbers and symbols
which I use as passwords.

I will be very greatful for any assistance as I saw on one of
the forums that it can be done with excel but I have not been
able to find it.

I wonder if anyone has any comments on the security of passwords formed
from two or more real words? I know single dictionary words are fairly
easily found via a computer dictionary attack.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A bit difficult remembering that password, Biff !! <bg

Pete

"kammie" wrote:

Hi

I have four words consisting of letters, numbers and symbols
which I use as passwords.

I will be very greatful for any assistance as I saw on one of
the forums that it can be done with excel but I have not been
able to find it.

I wonder if anyone has any comments on the security of passwords formed
from two or more real words? I know single dictionary words are fairly
easily found via a computer dictionary attack.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

LOL!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"kammie" wrote:

Hi

I have four words consisting of letters, numbers and symbols
which I use as passwords.

I will be very greatful for any assistance as I saw on one of
the forums that it can be done with excel but I have not been
able to find it.

I wonder if anyone has any comments on the security of passwords formed
from two or more real words? I know single dictionary words are fairly
easily found via a computer dictionary attack.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not- Hide
quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just do like so many do -- write it on a sticky-note and hang it on your
monitor.

"T. Valko" wrote:

LOL!

--