Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Link documents

I have a document that gets info from another document. My problem is that
the document dosen´t update until I open the referance document. Can somone
help how to update without open the refernce excel document

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In Excel 2007: Office button (coloured ball) | Prepare files | Edit Links
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Bogi" wrote in message
I have a document that gets info from another document. My problem is that
the document dosen´t update until I open the referance document. Can
somone
help how to update without open the refernce excel document

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bogi.

1. I set up 2 files in EXCEL 2007:-

c:\excel\microsoft\Bogi_1.xlsx

c:\excel\microsoft\Bogi_2.xlsx

2. In Bogi_1 in cell A1 I put the following:-

this is cell a1

I save the file.

3. In Bogi_2 in cell A1 I put the following:-

='C:\excel\microsoft\[Bogi_1.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1

This will pull in the text:-

this is cell a1

4. I now close both files.

5. I now reopen:-

Bogi_1.xlsx

- and change cell A1 to read:-

this is NOT cell a1

I save the change and close the file.

6. I now reopen:-

Bogi_2.xlsx

Towards the top of the screen the following appears:-

Security Warning Automatic update of links has been disabled Options . . .

7. I single left hand click on the:-

Options . . .

- button in the above Security Warning and select:-

Enable this content (by putting a green dot in that option) then hit OK.

8. Cell A1 now correctly changes to read:-

this is NOT cell a1

Bogi_1.xlxs is CLOSED at this point.

Everything is working correctly as far as I can see.

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks.

"Bogi" wrote:

I have a document that gets info from another document. My problem is that
the document dosen´t update until I open the referance document. Can somone
help how to update without open the refernce excel document

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bogi,

Note that the data retrieved by some formulae (eg formulae using the INDIRECT Function) that can be used for linking will only work
if the source workbook is open; otherwise you'll see #REF displayed.

Also, make sure 'update remote references' is checked, under Tools|Options|Calculation.

--
Cheers
macropod