Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Assigning percentage values?

This scenario is a bit tricky, but I hope someone can figure it out.

On worksheets 2, 3, and 4, I have lists of tasks which, for the purposes of
this example, are 60, 30, and 10 items long, respectively, for a total of 100
tasks. I've used the =IF function to make them checklists that I'll fill out
as certain tasks are fulfilled.

On worksheet 1, I've made a chart listing completion percentages of the
three task charts:

Set 1: 100%
Set 2: 0%
Set 3: 0%

Total: ???%

Now, I know that I can use =AVERAGE to find out my average completion
percentage. However, I know that completing 100% of Set 1 is equal to 60%
overall completion (60/100 tasks complete). By using =AVERAGE, it will will
me that I'm 33.3% complete, which is incorrect. I would like to know what
function will make the total percentage reflective of that.

As a side note, I'm aware that in the example given there are 100 tasks and
that I could easily make a function that adds completed tasks from the three
worksheets together and divides by 100 to get an overall pecentage even to
what I'm describing. In my actual workbook, however, that is not possible, as
different each task set is worth a SPECIFIC percentage.

I hope someone can make sense of this and help me out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you've got your weightings (60, 30, 10) in A2:A4, and your completions
per task (100%, 0%, 0%) in B2:B4, your overall completion percentage is
=SUMPRODUCT(A2:A4,B2:B4)/SUM(A2:A4) (formatted as a percentage)
--
David Biddulph