Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping dates in pivot table

I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table.
Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date. This is a field I
would like to group by in the pivottable. I am aware of all the
techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an
answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly
from a sql query.

I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent
formats with no success.

Any insights into this would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Search criteria:
OLAP Pivot Table date 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Marc" wrote:
I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table.
Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date. *This is a field I
would like to group by in the pivottable. *I am aware of all the
techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an
answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly
from a sql query.

I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent
formats with no success.

Any insights into this would be appreciated.

This is true. The trick is consuming the data directly from the query
which should be possible.