Ikke

Default How to stop Excel from changing the cell properties?

Hi everyone,

I've just started using Excel for some small spreadsheet I need to have,
and I've stumbled upon a little problem.

Whenever I enter some text in a cell (for example August 2004), Excel
converts it to a 'date' format (aug/2004) which is not what I want.

How can I stop Excel from making these conversions, and tell it to keep
what I type?

Thanks in advance,

Ikke
Paul B

Ikke, format the cell as text or put a ' in front of it, you want see the '
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Ikke" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I've just started using Excel for some small spreadsheet I need to have,
and I've stumbled upon a little problem.

Whenever I enter some text in a cell (for example August 2004), Excel
converts it to a 'date' format (aug/2004) which is not what I want.

How can I stop Excel from making these conversions, and tell it to keep
what I type?

Thanks in advance,

Ikke

Ikke

"Bob Phillips" wrote in
:

precede it with a single apostrophe ', or format the cell as text.

Thanks Bob and Paul, I'll try that. Formatting the cell as text did not
help, because then the 'august 2004' part is changed into a number.

Regards,

Ikke
Paul B

Ikke, you will need to format the cell as text before you put in August
2004, then it will stay that way
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Ikke" wrote in message
"Bob Phillips" wrote in
:

precede it with a single apostrophe ', or format the cell as text.

Thanks Bob and Paul, I'll try that. Formatting the cell as text did not
help, because then the 'august 2004' part is changed into a number.

Regards,

Ikke

lukas

Ikke,

you can customize the date in Excel. Fromat cells (CTRL+1), Number tab, in
Category seelct Custom. The format of date as you mentioned enter in the Type
text files:
mmmm yyyy
mmmm stands for fully named monthy; yyyy stand for 4 digits year.

Enjoy!
--
Regards
Lukas Polansky