jeffbro27707

Default Still no joy - trying to view 100's of file TITLES

I have 100's of similarly named XL files. Finding the one I want is
easy in
XL 5.0 because the FileFind dialog box can be set to show the file
titles
next to each file name. But, in later versions of XL, the FileOpen
Explorer window doesn't show titles.

'Details' in the 'View' section of the settings. This is incorrect.
Only
FileName, FileSize, FileType, and DateModified are shown.

Perhaps they meant select ViewsProperties, but this only shows titles
_one at a time_, for the currently highlighted file name.

I'm trying to replicate the Excel 5.0 FileFind listing that shows each
file's
Excel title, all at once, a pageful at at time. Can this be done?

--
jeffbro27707
jeffbro27707's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=858

Jim Cone

jeffbro27707,

It would probably help if you would explain the difference
between a file "title" and a file "name".

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"jeffbro27707" wrote in message

[...]

Dana DeLouis

'Details' in the 'View' section of the settings. This is incorrect.
Only
FileName, FileSize, FileType, and DateModified are shown.

Hi. In Excel 2003, under File | Open, look in the upper Right corner.
Select the drop-down button just to the Left of the Tools drop-down menu.
To experiment, select something like "Details" or "Properties."
Now, right-click one of the 4 column headings that you mentioned (for
example, "DateModified") You should see a list of items that you can add to
the column headings...like "Title"
HTH :)

--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

[...]

jeffbro27707

Jim Cone Wrote:
[...]

Sorry.

A FileName is the name you give a workbook when you save it. It's what
Windows
displays when you open any folder.

A workbook Title...open any workbook and go FilePropertiesSummaryTab.
There
you can supply a workbook a Title, Subject, Author, Manager, Company,
etc.

When using FileOpen in modern versions of XL I can only set up to see
1 title at a
time, for the currently selected Windows FileName. No good when I need
to sort
through many, many files searching for the right title.

In Excel 5.0 FileFind brings up a window that can be configured to
display each
workbook's title, right next to its FileName. At a glance I can scan a
couple dozen
Titles in search of my target. Very handy...crucial, in fact.

I would really love to move into the modern age of XL but I can't live
without this
capability.

Thanks.

--
jeffbro27707
jeffbro27707's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=858

jeffbro27707

Wow. After years of seeing the Windows Explorer file list box, who'd
have guessed that right clicking them suddenly offered new choices!

Your suggestion works in Excel 2002 (computer at office) but not on
Excel 2000 (computers at home). Is there a solution that will work
for XL2K?

Many thanks.

Jeff