Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Truncating a VIN

I have an excel spreadsheet with several hundred VINs and want to truncate to
show only the LAST 6 digits. What formula do I use that will look at the cell
from the right, count 6 digits and delete the remaining digits?
e.g.
1FDWE35LX9DA19804
want to show: A19804

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assume that a VIN number is in cell A2
=right(A2,6)
will give you the last 6 characters.

"lputnam" wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet with several hundred VINs and want to truncate to
show only the LAST 6 digits. What formula do I use that will look at the cell
from the right, count 6 digits and delete the remaining digits?
e.g.
1FDWE35LX9DA19804
want to show: A19804

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

DATA TextToColumns setting a fixed column break is also another way to
break off the rightmost 6 characters

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3