Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sue Sue is offline

Default numbers truncating

I have exported a file as a .csv file and when I open it in Excel the numbers
truncate ( I think that's what they're doing) ex. 5193571568 chages to
5.195E+09. I have changed the formatting of the column to text and it still
happens. It looks fine if I expand the column but the problem is when I save
the file, it automatically shrinks again when I save as a csv file. Any
suggestions how to keep the numbers?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel isn't truncating the numbers, rather it's converting it to scientific
notation, i.e., 5.195*10^9

Put an apostrophe to the left of the numbers if you want XL to treat it as a
text string.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Sue" wrote:

I have exported a file as a .csv file and when I open it in Excel the numbers
truncate ( I think that's what they're doing) ex. 5193571568 chages to
5.195E+09. I have changed the formatting of the column to text and it still
happens. It looks fine if I expand the column but the problem is when I save
the file, it automatically shrinks again when I save as a csv file. Any
suggestions how to keep the numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Dave - I did discover that solution by searching through this forum, the
problem is that it (th comma) won't save when I save it as a csv file.

Sue

"Sue" wrote:

I have exported a file as a .csv file and when I open it in Excel the numbers
truncate ( I think that's what they're doing) ex. 5193571568 chages to
5.195E+09. I have changed the formatting of the column to text and it still
happens. It looks fine if I expand the column but the problem is when I save
the file, it automatically shrinks again when I save as a csv file. Any
suggestions how to keep the numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The data is there in your csv file, but the problem is if you get Excel to
read in the file with the default extension of csv.
If you change the file extension to txt instead of csv, then at the import
stage define the column as text format rather than general.
--
David Biddulph