Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default percentage

hi

I want to figure by how much percent one grade did compared to a group of 20
other grades. For example, student A scored a 95 but the other 19 students
got below a 50 so he did better by a certain percent. I guess it's more of a
math question because once i have the formula I could figure out the rest.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 11, 9:26*am, excelguy
wrote:

I think you can only get a reference from student A compared to one by
one of the other students. or get an average grade of the 19 students
and compare the grades for that point. Ie.: 19 students avg 50.
Student A 80.. you get: (80 - 50)/50 = 30/50 = 0.6 = 60% more
than the other 19 students.

hi

I want to figure by how much percent one grade did compared to a group of 20
other grades. For example, student A scored a 95 but the other 19 students
got below a 50 so he did better by a certain percent. I guess it's more of a
math question because once i have the formula I could figure out the rest..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
suppose that your score of 95 is in cell B1, and the other score of 50 in
cell B2. You want the % in cell C1, so enter

B1/B2-1

format the cell as percentage

if this helps please click yes thanks

"excelguy" wrote:

hi

I want to figure by how much percent one grade did compared to a group of 20
other grades. For example, student A scored a 95 but the other 19 students
got below a 50 so he did better by a certain percent. I guess it's more of a
math question because once i have the formula I could figure out the rest.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to know how much higher a grade in A1 is, as a percentage of the
average of the grades in A2 to A20, then the formula is
=(A1-AVERAGE(A2:A20))/AVERAGE(A2:A20)
or
=(A1/AVERAGE(A2:A20))-1
and format as percentage.

If, however, your 95 and 50 represent percentage scores, and you just what
to know how much higher A1 is than the average of A2 to A20, then
=(A1-AVERAGE(A2:A20))%

As you say, it's a maths question, and you therefore need to decide on the
question before you find a way of working out the answer.
--
David Biddulph