Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default percentage

If you want to know how much higher a grade in A1 is, as a percentage of the
average of the grades in A2 to A20, then the formula is
=(A1-AVERAGE(A2:A20))/AVERAGE(A2:A20)
or
=(A1/AVERAGE(A2:A20))-1
and format as percentage.

If, however, your 95 and 50 represent percentage scores, and you just what
to know how much higher A1 is than the average of A2 to A20, then
=(A1-AVERAGE(A2:A20))%

As you say, it's a maths question, and you therefore need to decide on the
question before you find a way of working out the answer.
--
David Biddulph

"excelguy" wrote in message
hi

I want to figure by how much percent one grade did compared to a group of
20
other grades. For example, student A scored a 95 but the other 19 students
got below a 50 so he did better by a certain percent. I guess it's more of
math question because once i have the formula I could figure out the rest.