Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default SUMIF no longer working

I have a spreadsheet with hit rates for certain web pages. A typical
data pair (page identifier and hits) look like this (in cols A & B):

PLUTO:ML24442/PAT-062 3

I have a large set of these every week. My goal is to tally these data
for each page. The pages look like this (in Col D):

pat-001
pat-002
pat-003
pat-004
pat-005

....and so on through 179 different pages. Again, I want to tally the
hits for each page so that I'm left with something like this (in Cols
D & E):

pat-001 1
pat-002 0
pat-003 4
pat-004 4
pat-005 3

The formula I've been using in col E is: 'SUMIF(A:A,"*"&D6,B:B)' (from
the 6th row, obviously) which I got from someone on-line. At one time,
I'd swear that the tallies (col E) responded to changes in the hit
data (col B) and was working well but now that doesn't appear to be
the case. The formula appears to be correct given the info provided
he http://techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/sumif.php but the data in
col E doesn't appear to be changing with the data in Col B.

Any ideas what might be going on?

MS Excel 2003 SP3

TIA,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps your data has changed and you now have some trailing spaces -
change your formula to this:

=SUMIF(A:A,"*"&D6&"*",B:B)

and see if that helps.

Pete

On Nov 9, 8:54*pm, David Schwartz wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 9, 3:59*pm, "Fred Smith" wrote:
The formula looks correct here. Do you perchance have recalculation turned
off? Check ToolsOptionsCalculation, make sure it's set to Automatic.

Regards,
Fred

DOH! Boy, that's embarrassing; yup, the calculation was set to manual
for some reason. Thanks!