Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Urgent help needed!!! Saving in Excel 2007

I have exported a CSV file into Excel and spent many hours working on it. I
regularly saved it using the usual ctrl + s. However, when I went to close
Excel down it said that there an existing file with that name and do I want
to overwrite it. I selected yes - but when I went to reopen the document all
my work had disappeard and what opened was the original document.

I cannot understand how this has happened as I was also saving as I was
working.

Can anybody help please as I really do not have the time or enthusiasm to
redo all that work.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Were you saving as CSV, or as an Excel file? Are you sure that you have
opened the right variant? Have you checked in Windows Explorer the date and
time of the file? [Don't try to do the latter while excel has the file
open, as it will change the timestamp temporarily, though it will go back to
the original timerstamp if you close it without saving.]
Are you sure that you are looking in the right folder? On the right disk?
Use Windows Explorer to search for documents saved within the relevant time
period. If need be, widen the search to cover all disks & folders.
If you did a Save As, did you choose the option "always create backup"? If
not, will you do so next time?
--
David Biddulph

"Cazzy123" wrote in message
I have exported a CSV file into Excel and spent many hours working on it.
regularly saved it using the usual ctrl + s. However, when I went to
close
Excel down it said that there an existing file with that name and do I
want
to overwrite it. I selected yes - but when I went to reopen the document
all
my work had disappeard and what opened was the original document.

I cannot understand how this has happened as I was also saving as I was
working.

Can anybody help please as I really do not have the time or enthusiasm to
redo all that work.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David,

Thanks for the indepth reply. I have looked everywhere and just can't find
this file, it just seems to have converted back to the original - very
strange.

As I use Excel and Word day in day out, I am in the habit of saving the
documents using Ctrl + S so never thought of the back-up option you
suggested. Although, I have looked in the save - as I can't find the Back-up
option you suggested, where is this?

Thanks
Caroline

"Cazzy123" wrote in message
I have exported a CSV file into Excel and spent many hours working on it.
regularly saved it using the usual ctrl + s. However, when I went to
close
Excel down it said that there an existing file with that name and do I
want
to overwrite it. I selected yes - but when I went to reopen the document
all
my work had disappeard and what opened was the original document.

I cannot understand how this has happened as I was also saving as I was
working.

Can anybody help please as I really do not have the time or enthusiasm to
redo all that work.

Thanks

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Save AsToolsGeneral OptionsAlways create backup

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP