Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Default Urgent! Help needed for Excel

Hi all,

I need your help.

I have an Excel sheet, where we used a 3rd party API and called a
function. So each cell has a function call to retrieve some data from
some database. We have successfully collected data from the database.
And we now no longer have access to the computer which is equipped
with the API and database, due to expiration of trial period.

And after we collected data, and back at home, we opened the Excel
sheet on a computer that does not have API installed and does not have
access to the database, only to find "#NAME?" displayed in all the
cells.

Basically, because the 3rd command/function cannot be run on this
computer, all the collected data are now gone, and we only see
"#NAME?" error message.

This is super inconvenient and we should have copied and pasted the
collected numbers as "numbers" into a separate Excel sheet. Due to
inexperience of using Excel, we forgot to do that. And we don't have
access to the 3rd party command/API as well as the database any more,
due to expiration of trial period.

Any remedies? Please give us help! Thanks a lot for your help! Really
appreciate it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Try turning calculation to manual, THEN open the workbook. If you see
numbers, copy/paste special values, and you're all set.
HTH
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"LunaMoon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

If Bob's solution doesn't work, you may want to try this registry tweak posted
by Jim Rech:

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

On Dec 22, 10:26*am, Bob Umlas, Excel MVP
wrote:
Try turning calculation to manual, THEN open the workbook. If you see
numbers, copy/paste special values, and you're all set.
HTH
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

I set the option to "manual" and open the Excel file, it automatically
turn the option back to "auto".

What can I do?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

On Dec 22, 11:29*am, Dave Peterson wrote:
If Bob's solution doesn't work, you may want to try this registry tweak posted
by Jim Rech:

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...4%40TK2MSFTNGP....

Thanks. The problem is that I am using Office 2003 and Office 2007.
The file was saved as Office 2003 version from within Office 2007.

The link above discussed about Office 2000. I am worried.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Ex cel\Options

That 9.0 is for xl2k

use 10.0 for xl2002
11.0 for xl2003
12.0 for xl2007

If you're worried, write down all the changes you make to the registry before
you make them--or backup the registry before you start.