Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Decimal Points in cells

Can someone please guide me to a means of placing numbers in cells without
decimal points? I want to build a spreadsheet to track miles.

Thanks in advance, Wayward
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Simply type the number and hit Enter.

If you're getting something like this...

You enter 45 in a cell it converts to 0.45...

Goto the menu ToolsOptionsEdit tabuncheck: Fixed decimal placesOK out

If you're getting something like this...

You enter 45 in a cell and it converts to 45.00...

Select the cell(s) in question
Goto the menu FormatCellsNumber tabchange the format to either General
(preferred) or Number and set the decimal places to 0OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Wayward" wrote in message
Can someone please guide me to a means of placing numbers in cells without
decimal points? I want to build a spreadsheet to track miles.

Thanks in advance, Wayward

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a similar isssue, except I'm trying to type a fraction and it get
changed to a decimal. I'm using Excel 2007. I don't have (or can't find) a
Tools heading to click on. I've tried to format the cells by clicking on
either "General" or "Fraction", but it doesn't help. What can I do to be able
to write a fraction and have it show in a cell?
Thanks,
Don

"Wayward" wrote in message
Can someone please guide me to a means of placing numbers in cells without
decimal points? I want to build a spreadsheet to track miles.

Thanks in advance, Wayward

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The option Biff referred to can be found in XL2007 as follows... click the
Office Button (the big round icon in the upper left corner of the Excel
window), then click the Excel Options button, the select Advanced and
uncheck the CheckBox labeled "Automatically insert a decimal point".

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)