Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Access question

I know this isn't the correct forum for this question, but it is basic, and I
think I already know the answer.

How can creating a query in Access affect the data table that the query is
using?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is this an Access query on an Access table? Is it a Select Query? Runnig a
Select query on a table does nothing to the table in and of itself. You can
typically make changes to the source table within the Select query, but not
by running it alone.

"RollieG" wrote:

I know this isn't the correct forum for this question, but it is basic, and I
think I already know the answer.

How can creating a query in Access affect the data table that the query is
using?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only thing a query can do to a table is lock it so that nothing else can
use it at the same time.

You can even avoid this issue.

In Design View of the Query, right click in the grey area and select
Properties.

10th item down, ensure you have No Locks.

Other than that, you are free and clear!

"RollieG" wrote:

I know this isn't the correct forum for this question, but it is basic, and I
think I already know the answer.

How can creating a query in Access affect the data table that the query is
using?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the database is on a shared server, where records are being continuously
added to the table, can I still run the query without affecting the addition
of new records.

I believe I am just querying the table at the time of running it. I know I
could run the query 5 minutes later and get different results.

"RollieG" wrote:

I know this isn't the correct forum for this question, but it is basic, and I
think I already know the answer.

How can creating a query in Access affect the data table that the query is
using?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Correct. You can run the query at any time, without locks, and you would do
no harm.

That is part of the fun in using Databases!