Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default making a cell a search/find field

How do I make a cell a search/find field. For example, all the data is in
column A. I want to make A1 a cell I can put data in and have it search the
rest of the spreadsheet for that data. Is there a way to do this? I know I
could just do ctrl+f but this needs to be done hundreds of times a day and
eliminating that would be helpful.
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You already have a couple of replies to your first post.

Suggest you go read them.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:51:01 -0700, adam
wrote:

How do I make a cell a search/find field. For example, all the data is in
column A. I want to make A1 a cell I can put data in and have it search the
rest of the spreadsheet for that data. Is there a way to do this? I know I
could just do ctrl+f but this needs to be done hundreds of times a day and
eliminating that would be helpful.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What do you want to do with the data you find? If you want to, say, highlight
it, you can use Conditional Formatting (Format Conditional Formatting),
using Formula is/=$A$1

"adam" wrote:

How do I make a cell a search/find field. For example, all the data is in
column A. I want to make A1 a cell I can put data in and have it search the
rest of the spreadsheet for that data. Is there a way to do this? I know I
could just do ctrl+f but this needs to be done hundreds of times a day and
eliminating that would be helpful.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I want it to keep column A1 held, which I can freeze and scrool and highlight
the found cell. Please assist more with that formula. I am a little unsure
of how to enter it.

Thanks

"adam" wrote:

How do I make a cell a search/find field. For example, all the data is in
column A. I want to make A1 a cell I can put data in and have it search the
rest of the spreadsheet for that data. Is there a way to do this? I know I
could just do ctrl+f but this needs to be done hundreds of times a day and
eliminating that would be helpful.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your first post was in worksheet.functions news group.

Message ID for my reply.

I will post my reply here in case you can't find the other one.

start post.............................................. .............

Only through VBA AFAIK

But it takes no longer to type into the find box than it does to type into a
cell.

What would you want to do with the results of your search?

This macro colors the found cells as gray.

Sub findthings()
whatval = ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Value
With Worksheets(1).UsedRange
Set c = .Find(whatval, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart)
If Not c Is Nothing Then
FirstAddress = c.Address
Do
c.Interior.Pattern = xlPatternGray50
Set c = .FindNext(c)
Loop While Not c Is Nothing And c.Address < FirstAddress
End If
End With
End Sub

Gord