Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Counting cells with text

H,

I am trying to count cells that have text in them but using a second column
as a criteria also.
ie I have a column 'machine' and a colum ' comment'. I want to be able to
count the amount of times a particular machine has a comment attached (there
are 15 machines and there may or may not be a comment).

neil
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUMPRODUCT(--(machine_range=machine_id),--(comment_range<""))

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"neiltb" wrote in message
H,

I am trying to count cells that have text in them but using a second
column
as a criteria also.
ie I have a column 'machine' and a colum ' comment'. I want to be able
count the amount of times a particular machine has a comment attached
(there
are 15 machines and there may or may not be a comment).

neil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Try sumproduct for multiple criteria

Something like this in say F2:
=SUMPRODUCT((D$2:D$100="Machine ID")*(TRIM(E$2:E$100)<""))
assuming col D = machine ids, col E = comments

TRIM is suggested to screen off the possibility of white spaces in col E's
comments, which would otehrwise give spurious counts.

Any worth? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore