Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup not returning complete result

My formula appears to be working, but my result is not complete. For
example--I'm looking up a product code and want the description to be my
result. Let's say if the description is "100# trains"....my result only
shows "100". What do I need to do to get the rest of it showing? (the "#
trains" part)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is VLOOKUP right? Check out help on VLOOKUP() on the 3rd and 4th parameter.

3rd one is the column number of the array..If your array is B1:D10 and if
you want to retrive columnD information the column number is 3

4th parameter if 0 will look for an exact match

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Mindy" wrote:

My formula appears to be working, but my result is not complete. For
example--I'm looking up a product code and want the description to be my
result. Let's say if the description is "100# trains"....my result only
shows "100". What do I need to do to get the rest of it showing? (the "#
trains" part)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's say if the description is "100# trains"....
my result only shows "100".

Are you using a custom number format in your table so that it displays as
100# trains? If so then you'll have to use the same format in your formula
cell.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mindy" wrote in message
My formula appears to be working, but my result is not complete. For
example--I'm looking up a product code and want the description to be my
result. Let's say if the description is "100# trains"....my result only
shows "100". What do I need to do to get the rest of it showing? (the
"#
trains" part)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, then you'll have to show us the *exact* formula you are using.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mindy" wrote in message
My formula appears to be working, but my result is not complete. For
example--I'm looking up a product code and want the description to be
my
result. Let's say if the description is "100# trains"....my result
only
shows "100". What do I need to do to get the rest of it showing?
(the
"#
trains" part)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=VLOOKUP(I2*1,'[Carbonless Roll & unc Stock
List-Mindy.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$M,2,FALSE)

I have to use the *1 because I will get #N/A if not. (It is looking at a
product number & I need it to return a description)

NOW--part of the table that I'm pulling from has cells combined & it looks
like this:
=B583&"#"&D583&E583&F583&H583&I583

Thanks!!!

"Mindy" wrote in message
My formula appears to be working, but my result is not complete. For
example--I'm looking up a product code and want the description to be
my
result. Let's say if the description is "100# trains"....my result
only
shows "100". What do I need to do to get the rest of it showing?
(the
"#
trains" part)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found a way around this. I think it must have done with me combining cells
& pulling from that. I copied and did a "paste special" with the values &
ran my lookup table from that & it worked! :)

"Mindy" wrote in message
My formula appears to be working, but my result is not complete. For
example--I'm looking up a product code and want the description to be
my
result. Let's say if the description is "100# trains"....my result
only
shows "100". What do I need to do to get the rest of it showing?
(the
"#
trains" part)

Thanks!