Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel realtime network update from source workbooks

How do you get cells to update on one spreadsheet on the network from other
source spreadsheets on the network in real time?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think you can.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With one exception...

If there is only one user of both workbooks and that user opens both workbooks
in the same instance of excel, then the updates happen in real time.

But I bet that's not what you meant.

solarbeef wrote:

How do you get cells to update on one spreadsheet on the network from other
source spreadsheets on the network in real time?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

What I'm trying to accomplish is that I have 35 (users) workbooks (all
identical except their name) saved on a shared drive on the network. I have
one summary workbook linked to cells in the others. When I have any of them
open on my computer and change the cells they update the summary workbook
instantly, but will not do it over the network when someone else has them
open on their computer. I'm trying to figure out how to link them. I've
been looking at software called Broadcast, but haven't been successful yet.
I have also been contemplating share commands and queries. Thought maybe
there was someone out there that has already accomplished this. Being able
to do this would certainly open many doors.

Thanks,
BoB

solarbeef wrote:

How do you get cells to update on one spreadsheet on the network from other
source spreadsheets on the network in real time?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

If you have a workbook that has links to the one I use.

I open that workbook and make changes almost at random. Your links get updated
immediately. I close without saving. How do the values get changed back since
my changes weren't really changes?