Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using Autosum

When I use the autosum icon on the toolbar to add contiguous rows in one
column, I just get a dash and a dollar sign. I can't get it to compute the
sum.
--
sjrobards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, that's not it. I tried widening it. Anyway, you get a group of ####
signs when the column isn't wide enough. I just get this: $ -
--
sjrobards

"June Bug" wrote:

Is the column wide enough?

"sjrobards" wrote:

When I use the autosum icon on the toolbar to add contiguous rows in one
column, I just get a dash and a dollar sign. I can't get it to compute the
sum.
--
sjrobards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's the accounting (or currency) format.

You'll see that if the cell's value is 0.

Format the cell in some other way (General???) (and keep the columnwidth wide).

sjrobards wrote:

Yes, that's not it. I tried widening it. Anyway, you get a group of ####
signs when the column isn't wide enough. I just get this: $ -
--
sjrobards

"June Bug" wrote:

Is the column wide enough?

"sjrobards" wrote:

When I use the autosum icon on the toolbar to add contiguous rows in one
column, I just get a dash and a dollar sign. I can't get it to compute the
sum.
--
sjrobards

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your cells are formatted to Accounting Style and your total is zero.

Sounds like the "numbers" are not real numbers.

Format all to general. Copy an empty cell.

Select the range of numbers and EditPaste SpecialAddOKEsc.

Now do you get a SUM?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:10:04 -0700, sjrobards wrote:

When I use the autosum icon on the toolbar to add contiguous rows in one
column, I just get a dash and a dollar sign. I can't get it to compute the
sum.

autosum capital me Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 April 5th 09 05:28 AM
AutoSum CC New Users to Excel 12 October 29th 08 03:11 PM
how do i set up autosum as a % Robert s Excel Worksheet Functions 1 February 7th 07 08:18 PM
autosum Kevin Excel Worksheet Functions 6 November 25th 06 06:51 PM
AutoSum Carmel R Excel Worksheet Functions 4 November 6th 06 08:34 PM