Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Basic Excel Formatting to Make a Readable Document

I want to make an invoice template in Excel, to take advantage of the ability
to calculate time, rate, total, etc. When I download a template off the MS
site, it's close to what I want, but I need to customize it a bit more. So I
"show gridlines", and I can see that some rows have cells that are wide
(merged?), followed by a row that will have 2 or 3 cells in the same width of
space that the row above has. This allows the person a lot of flexibility to
put text into precise places on the written page. But, I don't know how to do
it. Nor do I know how or if you can adjust the width of those individual
cells to suit your needs. It seem like you can adjust the width of a column,
but not a single cell (say, in those 2-3 cells under the wider cell). Any
help doing this is appreciated.

ddc
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are saying that you do no know how to, "show gridlines" (and I am not
sure that you are) this is how to do that in EXCEL 2007:-

Page Layout / Page Setup - in here click on the arrow in the lower right
hand corner / Page Set up should launch / Sheet tab - in here place a green
tick in the Gridlines field / OK

Gridlines will now be added.

Thanks.

"DeeDeeCee" wrote:

I want to make an invoice template in Excel, to take advantage of the ability
to calculate time, rate, total, etc. When I download a template off the MS
site, it's close to what I want, but I need to customize it a bit more. So I
"show gridlines", and I can see that some rows have cells that are wide
(merged?), followed by a row that will have 2 or 3 cells in the same width of
space that the row above has. This allows the person a lot of flexibility to
put text into precise places on the written page. But, I don't know how to do
it. Nor do I know how or if you can adjust the width of those individual
cells to suit your needs. It seem like you can adjust the width of a column,
but not a single cell (say, in those 2-3 cells under the wider cell). Any
help doing this is appreciated.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In EXCEL 2007:-

1. I have cell A1 set as a merged cell (for 3 columns).

2. I then enter data into any of the following 3 cells:-

A2 C2 D2

3. No matter how wide the data is in cells A2 C2 or D2 I can automatically
adjust the width of those cells by double left hand clicking on the line in
between the columns.

So if I want to extend the width of column A I double left hand click in the
bar between column A and column B.

I think that this answers your question and that what you are asking for is
possible (in EXCEL 2007).

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks!