Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I make my rather large spreadsheet readable?

I have a spreadsheet that has several columns and numerous rows. Everything
is fine until I get to the comments column. The extensive comments all of a
sudden make my rows unmanageably high. All the name, address, phone, email
areas would keep my rows to one line but now with the comments section, and
their wrapped notes, my single-line entries become 20 lines plus for each
entry. (If I didn't wrap my notes, that column, the Comments column, would
be a mile long.) I have always had to cut and paste if I wanted to retain a
readable font size but this is ridiculous. Until I hear a good suggestion
from someone out there I will reduce the font size to Kartika 8 and continue
using my magnifying glass. But I certainly hope that someone over the past
10 years has found a solution for this. And if not, hopefully someone will
write profitable software to tackle this age-old dilemma and let me know
about it. I will gladly be their first customer, ha, ha.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, you can break the comments into multiple columns...
=left(comments column,50) goes jut to the right
=mid(comments column,51,50) goes to the right of the above
etc.
then, copy and paste/special these columns and delete the offensive comments
column.
At least this way, one cell doesn't take up the entire screen.

"timothyreed" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why not use real Comment boxes rather than typed-in-a-cell comments?

The rows would not try to Autofit in that case.

Or turn offf wrap text and autofit in the comments rows.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP