Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Multiple users with 2003 and 2007

I have been asked to create a budget spreadsheet in Excel that multiple users
would use and customize to their projects. Some of these users have 2003 and
some have 2007. I have made the document in 2003. Are my 2007 users going
to have problems with the 2003 document and if I should upgrade to 2007 and
re-create the spreadsheet would the 2003 users have trouble with 2007??
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel has backward compatibility, so 2007 users can open the 2003 file. They
must ensure they don't change the fole to .xslx. 2003 users will not be able
to access thsi type of file and do not have access to some 2007 functions, so
2003 is your best bet.

"Laura" wrote:

I have been asked to create a budget spreadsheet in Excel that multiple users
would use and customize to their projects. Some of these users have 2003 and
some have 2007. I have made the document in 2003. Are my 2007 users going
to have problems with the 2003 document and if I should upgrade to 2007 and
re-create the spreadsheet would the 2003 users have trouble with 2007??
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The best bottom line has been given for the situation: distribute as a file
made in Excel 2003.

Also, for a mixed environment like that, you could consider setting up your
2007 user's Excel (and other Office apps like Word) to default to saving in
2003 format: Office button -- [Excel Options] then in the Save group, choose
"Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls)" for the "Save files in this format:" option.
This will help make sure that files created by Bill who has Excel 2003 can
be read/used by Harvey who happens to still have Excel 2003.