Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using Solver

Can anyone help me with this problem???

Problem:
My supervisor wants me to create a worksheet . C.C computers, sell Pentiums
PC's each costs $1,450 and retails for $1,900

Power PC's costs $1,750 and retail for $2,150.
Teh box for the pentium takes up to 6 square feet; the box for the Powe Pc
takes up to 4 square feet ..... Te stockroom for the PC's is 130 Sq Ft....
The store sells about twice as many Pentiums to Power PC's , so no matter
how many boxes she can fit in the storeroom, the ratio of Pentium to Power
PC's must be at least 2:1 and not greater than 3:1 . So, using the Solver,
she wants me to determine how many boxes of each brand should I order to
maximize profits while still meeting the constraints of the problem. I has to
show my final solution and the answer report .

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you soon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Randy -

I could help if (1) you get permission from your instructor or (2) you
convince me this is not a homework assignment.

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi. Don't know what kind of help you need for Solver.
The only thing I might offer that may not be discussed in the book is
the following:

When you add a constraint like x/y <= 3,
there is a chance Solver will error out with Div/0 error.

I find it best to make it linear by rewriting as
x <= 3*y
then
x - 3*y <= 0

Now...your variables are on the left, constant value on Right, and no
chance for Div/0 error.
You may prefer to multiply by -1
-x + 3*y = 0

The box for the Pentium takes up to 6 square feet;

Yep. This standard Chapter 1 intro problem is starting to show it's
age. :)

Good luck.
HTH
Dana DeLouis