Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting / format question

Something has happened to my file that causes Excel 2007 to select PART of my
file when I sort. I've looked at everything & can't figure why it's doing
this. When I click sort - I want the whole sheet sorted.

No fields or columns are hidden.

If I work fast I risk getting my info all srewed up ....

Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Any blank rows or columns?

I have found over the years and several versions of Excel to not let Excel
guess the range,

Select all columns to be sorted before hitting the Sort button.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:11:02 -0700, markholt
wrote:

Something has happened to my file that causes Excel 2007 to select PART of my
file when I sort. I've looked at everything & can't figure why it's doing
this. When I click sort - I want the whole sheet sorted.

No fields or columns are hidden.

If I work fast I risk getting my info all srewed up ....

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The software should sort the entire page. Is it normal for this problem - I
don't know what is causing it but Excel is limiting the columns to A through
L. Also if you use the AZ quick sort button it does the same. It doesn't
work properly. I thought it was something with my sheet....

wrote:

Something has happened to my file that causes Excel 2007 to select PART of my
file when I sort. I've looked at everything & can't figure why it's doing
this. When I click sort - I want the whole sheet sorted.

No fields or columns are hidden.

If I work fast I risk getting my info all srewed up ....

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually - I did have a column blank !! I was using it as a working column
to identify needed changes & it was currently blank. I removed that column &
now it sorts fine.

I guess MS did this to make it fast....I didn't know this. Learned
something today !!

wrote:

Something has happened to my file that causes Excel 2007 to select PART of my
file when I sort. I've looked at everything & can't figure why it's doing
this. When I click sort - I want the whole sheet sorted.

No fields or columns are hidden.

If I work fast I risk getting my info all srewed up ....

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the feedback.

Now you see why I select all columns prior to the sort<g

Gord

wrote:

Something has happened to my file that causes Excel 2007 to select PART of my
file when I sort. I've looked at everything & can't figure why it's doing
this. When I click sort - I want the whole sheet sorted.

No fields or columns are hidden.

If I work fast I risk getting my info all srewed up ....

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, you got it right !!

They should really make reference to this in the Excel help - seems like it
was done on purpose to keep the sort faster - but it's NOT user friendly &
can cause A LOT of head ache. When this 1st happened it mixed all my info. -
I wasn't paying attention to the way it highlights & especially when you use
the quick sort button.

This can be DANGEROUS !!