Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to read .dat excel files in v2003

Is there any way to "add" to my version 2003 Excel the ability to read .dat
files?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is a .dat file?

dsears wrote:
Is there any way to "add" to my version 2003 Excel the ability to read .dat
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Earlier versions of Excel spreadsheet files have .xls at the end. I believe
that the newer versions have .dat at the end.

"Bob I" wrote:

What is a .dat file?

dsears wrote:
Is there any way to "add" to my version 2003 Excel the ability to read .dat
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, they don't.
Where they used to be .xls, Excel 2007 has .xlsx, .xlsm, and .xlsb
Where they used to be .xlt, Excel 2007 has .xltx and .xltm
Where they used to be .xla, Excel 2007 has .xlam
But not .dat

If you want to open an Excel 2007 file with Excel 2003, you need the
compatibility pack.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923505
David Biddulph

"dsears" wrote in message
Earlier versions of Excel spreadsheet files have .xls at the end. I
believe
that the newer versions have .dat at the end.

"Bob I" wrote:

What is a .dat file?

dsears wrote:
Is there any way to "add" to my version 2003 Excel the ability to read
.dat
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

*.dat files could have been created by a multitude of applications.

Excel is not one of them and will not open them.

See here for possible source of *.dat files

http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=%5ED

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:55:02 -0700, dsears
wrote:

Earlier versions of Excel spreadsheet files have .xls at the end. I believe
that the newer versions have .dat at the end.

"Bob I" wrote:

What is a .dat file?

dsears wrote:
Is there any way to "add" to my version 2003 Excel the ability to read .dat
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can open the file in notepad. If it is just raw data with no formatting
or program commands then you can save the file as a .txt and then open it in
XL and text to columns will (maybe) put the data into the appropriate
columns.
If there is any formatting or program commands from the program that
created this file then the file will be basically unusable unless you want to
spend a long time deleting the gobbledy gook from between the data you need.
If you have received the file from someone ask them to send it to you again
in the correct format. Most likely they have just sent you the wrong
download file from their system or they have assumed that you have the same
software that they use. Good luck.

wrote:

Earlier versions of Excel spreadsheet files have .xls at the end. I believe
that the newer versions have .dat at the end.

"Bob I" wrote:

What is a .dat file?

dsears wrote:
Is there any way to "add" to my version 2003 Excel the ability to read .dat
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If this .dat file was sent to you via email, read this thread:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...F2CC%40msn.com

Especially, Gord's response.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add to this discussion, I forwarded the winmail.dat excel file to
myself. I have XP, IE6, and Outlook. When it came back, I was able to open
it. Do not have any idea what changed but I got the information. Went back
and tried again to open the winmail file and could not. !!!!!

wrote:

Earlier versions of Excel spreadsheet files have .xls at the end. I believe
that the newer versions have .dat at the end.

"Bob I" wrote:

What is a .dat file?

dsears wrote:
Is there any way to "add" to my version 2003 Excel the ability to read .dat
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just thought I would update this problem, which still has not been solved.
The original .xls file left the sender's computer as an email attachment.
Some where between his computer and Yahoo's server, winmail.dat was added to
the end of the file. Outlook brought the email in but would not take in the
attachment which now was 'file.xls winmail.dat'. I found that file in the
Yahool server mail. From there, I forwarded it to me and it came back as the
original .xls file and I was able to read it. Later this same situation
occurred with a .doc file (MSWord). I went to Yahoo to find the problem and
ended up with a Tech level 2 person. He duplicated the same problem with me
..doc file--he also could not read it as winmail.dat--forward and it can be
read as .doc. He was unable to find the problem and was to call back later.
No call. Will follow up with him if it occurs again.